Enrollment Process

Two girls holding hands

School enrollment takes place at the neighborhood school that corresponds with your home address. If you need help determining the name and location of your neighborhood school, contact the Student Placement department at 425-9600, ext. 1570, or view the Street Directory for 2018-19 here.


To use Online Enrollment, click here.

Enrollment packets will be available for pick up at all school sites beginning Wednesday, February 7, 2018.

Enrollment for the 2018-2019 school year begins Wednesday, February 21, 2018.

Required Documentation for Enrollment

Enrollment begins with providing the following documentation:

  1. Birth Verification
  2. Immunization Record
  3. Residency Verification

Details about these documents are provided below.

Birth Verification

Birth verification is met by presenting a birth certificate, passport, hospital certificate, or baptismal certificate.

  • Hospital and baptismal certificate must include parent's names
  • To enter Kindergarten for the 2018-2019 school year, children must be five years old on or before September 1, 2018.
  • To enter First Grade for the 2018-2019 school year, children must be six years old on or before September 1, 2018.
  • Kindergarten registration will start on February 21, 2018 and will continue throughout the year.
  • Initial assignments to grade level are made on an age-appropriate basis.


The California school immunization law requires that all children entering school receive proper immunizations to protect them from serious illness and to prevent the spread of communicable diseases: polio, measles, rubella, mumps, hepatitis B, varicella (chickenpox), diphtheria, tetanus, haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib meningitis), and whooping cough.

A child shall not be enrolled until documentation showing current immunizations is presented to the school, unless there is certification of homelessness. If there is a documented medical reason for exemption, please consult with your CA-licensed physician for the proper paperwork prior to enrollment. 

A complete list of required immunizations can be found at these websites: 

Students admitted at ages 4-6 years need these immunizations:

  • Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis (DTaP, DTP, or DT) - 5 doses.  4 doses okay if one was given on or after 4th birthday. 
  • Polio (OPV or IPV) - 4 doses.  3 doses okay if one was given on or after 4th birthday. 
  • Hepatitis B - 3 doses.
  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) - 2 doses (both given on or after 1st birthday). 
  • Varicella (Chicken Pox) - 1 dose. 

Parents must show their child's immunization record as proof of immunization.  These immunization requirements also apply to students entering Transitional Kindergarten.

Students admitted at ages 7-17 years need these immunizations:

  • Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis (DTaP, DTP, or DT) - 4 doses.  3 doses okay if one was given on or after 2nd birthday.  1 dose at 7th grade or out-of-state transfer admission.  Grades 8-12 need 1 dose on or after the 7th birthday. 
  • Polio (OPV or IPV) - 4 doses.  3 doses okay if one was given on or after 2nd birthday. 
  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) - 1 dose.  2 doses required at 7th grade. 
  • Varicella (Chicken Pox) - Admission at ages 7-12 years need 1 dose.  Ages 13-17 years need 2 doses.

California schools are required to check immunization records for all new student admissions at Transitional Kindergarten/Kindergarten through 12th grade and all students advancing to 7th grade before entry.  Parents must show their child's immunization record as proof of immunization. 

Additional Health Assessments Required:

  • K-1 Dental Exam (OHA) (Form Eng/Span) Effective January 1, 2007, an Oral Health Assessment (OHA) by a licensed California dental health professional is required for children entering public school for the first time (at kindergarten or first grade). The OHA must be completed and returned to the school by May 31 of the year of entry.  Assessments done 12 months prior to school entry also meet this requirement. Obtain the form from the school or your dental health provider. Transitional kindergarten students who submit an oral health assessment will complete this requirement. Parents or guardians may sign a waiver of this requirement, which is found on the OHA form. There is no penalty or exclusion if this requirement is not met. The parent or guardian can call 1-800-675-2229 for assistance in finding a provider for the OHA.
  • Physical Exam California’s Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP) Program. (Form Eng/Span) This requires all school aged children to have a physical exam on record with the school. Please submit a copy of your child’s medical checkup to the school when you register for kindergarten or as soon as it is completed during the kindergarten year. The health exam meets the requirement if completed within 18 months of starting 1st grade. You are required to obtain this exam by 1st grade entry to make sure that your child is healthy and ready to learn. Parents or guardians needing assistance in meeting this requirement may call 1-800-675-2229. If a physical exam is against your personal beliefs, you must sign a CHDP waiver. Students who have not met this requirement by the appropriate date may be excluded from school attendance for up to five days.

Residency Verification

Residency Verification must be provided by parents/guardians upon initial enrollment and renewed every year thereafter on an annual basis.  If the residence changes, parents/guardians must present updated residency verification to the school within two weeks of the change.

In order to verify residency within the Chula Vista Elementary School District, one current document dated within 60 days of your child's first day of school must be provided, showing parent/caregiver/guardian name and address.

The following documents are acceptable for Residency Verification:

  1. Mortgage booklet or statement
  2. Homeowner's Association billing statement   
  3. Rental property contract, lease, or current payment receipt with landlord's name, address and phone number
  4. Letter on apartment complex or mobile home park letterhead, signed by the landlord, stating that parent/guardian/caregiver lives there
  5. Utility bills: gas and electric, sewer, trash, water, cable bill
  6. Telephone bill (land line)
  7. Pay stub
  8. Correspondence from a government agency

Information About Placement Procedures - click here


(619) 425-9600, ext 1570
Fax (619) 425-1030

Lisa Butler - Student Placement Manager
Kathy Hastings - Student Placement Lead
Yolanda Sierra - District Welfare and Attendance Technician / Home Visitor    
Kerry Smith - Student Placement Technician
Luis Estrada - Student Placement Technician

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.