Transitional Kindergarten FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions About Transitional Kindergarten (TK)

Below are parents' most commonly asked questions regarding TK. Feel free to contact us if you need assistance at (619) 425-2362 or (619) 425-9600 Ext. 181570.

What is Transitional Kindergarten?
Transitional Kindergarten is a full-day pre-kindergarten program designed to build a bridge between early learning and kindergarten. The California Kindergarten Readiness Act established a Transitional Kindergarten Program for children who miss the September 1 birth date cutoff to enroll in Kindergarten.

Is TK required to attend Kindergarten or 1st grade?
No. TK is an optional program and is not required to attend kindergarten or 1st grade.

Is TK eligibility based on income?
No. The program is not based on income. Parents may enroll their child in TK if he/she meets the TK program eligibility qualifications (age, immunizations, and residency).

What are the age requirements?
The child must turn five between September 2, 2023, and April 3, 2024, for the 2023-24 school year.

What are the immunization requirements?
Please follow the requirements as listed on the following link

How do I enroll my child in TK?
To begin the new student registration, you must create a new application by visiting the enrollment tab at Information may be saved and updated until the registration has been submitted. Once submitted, the neighborhood school staff must make any changes to the information.

Which school is my neighborhood school?
Please click here if you do not know your child's neighborhood school.

What school sites offer TK?
Please refer to the document container below for a list of school sites.

My neighborhood school does not offer TK. Do I still register my child at my neighborhood school?
Yes. Neighborhood schools will enroll students for TK even if TK is not offered at that site. Register online and request a zone transfer.

What is dual language immersion (DI)?
The dual immersion program is a language-oriented program designed to build fluency in Spanish and English. For more information on CVESD's dual immersion program, Click Here.

What happens after I register for TK?
Your enrollment will be entered into the District’s information system, and you will receive placement confirmation before the start of school.

How do I register my child to attend a TK program outside my neighborhood school?
When you complete your child's registration online, a zone transfer link will be emailed to you if your neighborhood school does not offer TK. Complete the zone transfer prioritizing your two schools of choice and submit. Your enrollment will be entered into the district's information system, and the early education department will place and email your confirmation. 

How do I register my grandchild who lives with me, not with the parents?
Contact the Student Placement Office at (619) 425-9600, Ext. 181570.

How do I register the brother or sister of a child already in a TK program?
Siblings are not automatically enrolled in a school of choice. Siblings must enroll online before requesting a zone transfer.

Who provides transportation for my child to attend a school outside my neighborhood?
Parents must provide transportation for students to attend school.

Is licensed childcare available?
Before and/or after-school childcare is offered through the South Bay Family YMCA at many of our elementary schools. Please check with your school directly to see if the program is available.

What is the priority criteria for student placement?
TK is not offered at every school site, so placement is determined on a first-come, first-served basis. Eligibility criteria may also depend on your home school boundaries.

I have not received my confirmation of placement; what do I do?
Call your neighborhood school to determine if your TK registration and Zone Transfer (if applicable) were submitted correctly and completely.
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2023 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.