Parent involvement and participation are vital to student success. Parents participate in our school through School Site Council (SSC), the English Language Advisory Committee (ELAC), and the Parent Teacher Association (PTA). Parents are invited to participate in classroom activities, field trips, programs, and assemblies. Over 100 regular volunteers, including parents, grandparents, and students from area high schools provide one-on-one and small group tutoring, especially in reading. We encourage communication in many ways:
- Teachers maintain ongoing communication with parents through weekly letters, progress reports, phone calls, and conferences.
- School events are published in the weekly FYI and on the school marquee.
- Our English Language Development Aide provides parent outreach by coordinating ELAC communication with parents in Spanish, providing Spanish translation, and demonstrating that ethnic and cultural diversity are valued at our school.
- The YMCA provides onsite before and after school child care, and Chula Vista Parks and Recreation provides the Dynamic After School Hours (DASH) program, which is well attended.
We welcome volunteers and are continually seeking Educational Partnerships with businesses and organizations in our community. Please call 397-5828 if you wish to become involved in school activities. Spanish translation is available.
1. ELAC - English Learner Advisory Committee
2. School Site Council